ZHANG Longxi is a leading scholar in East-West cross-cultural studies. He holds an MA from Peking University and a Ph. D. from Harvard. He had taught at Peking, Harvard, and the University of California, Riverside, and is currently Chair Professor of Comparative Literature and Translation at City University of Hong Kong. He is an elected foreign member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities, and also of Academia Europaea. He is on the Executive Council of the International Comparative Literature Association; co-editor of two book series for Brill, a member of the editorial boards of Modern China, Modern Chinese Literature and Culture, Journal of Chinese Literature and History and an Advisory Editor of New Literary History. His research interests are East-West cross-cultural studies, Chinese literature, European literature of the Renaissance and the seventeenth century, and world literature. He has published numerous books, book chapters, and journal articles in both English and Chinese.
- Cross-Cultural Studies
- Chinese Culture (in English)
- Language through Literature
- Appreciation of Masterpieces in Western Culture
- Introduction to World Civilizations
- 《二十世紀西方文論述評》[A Critical Introduction to Twentieth-Century Theories of Literature]. Beijing: Joint Publishing Co., 1986.
- The Tao and the Logos: Literary Hermeneutics, East and West. Durham: Duke University Press, 1992. Korean translation, 1997; Chinese translation, 1998; 2006.
- Mighty Opposites: From Dichotomies to Differences in the Comparative Study of China. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1998.
- 《走出文化的封閉圈》[Out of the Cultural Ghetto]. Hong Kong: The Commercial Press (Hong Kong) Ltd., 2000; 2nd expanded edition, Beijing: Joint Publishing Co., 2004.
- Allegoresis: Reading Canonical Literature, East and West. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2005.
- 《中西文化研究十論》[Ten Essays in Chinese-Western Cross-Cultural Studies]. Shanghai: Fudan University Press, 2005; 2010.
- Unexpected Affinities: Reading across Cultures. Toronto: University of Toronto.
- 《比較文學研究入門》[An Introduction to Comparative Literature]. Shanghai: Fudan University Press, 2009.
- 《靈魂的史詩﹕失樂園》[A Spiritual Epic: Paradise Lost]. Taipei: Net and Books, 2010.
- 《文學、歷史、思想﹕中西比較研究》[Literature – History – Thought: Chinese-Western Comparative Studies]. Hong Kong: Joint Publishing (H. K.) Co. Ltd., 2012.
Awards since 2000
- President of the International Comparative Literature Association, since July 2016Guest Professor, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany, May to June, 2014.
- Foreign member, Academia Europaea, elected September 19, 2013.
- Foreign Member, The Royal Swedish Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities, elected February 3, 2009.
- Guanghua Distinguished Humanist Lectures (光華傑出人文學者系列講座), Fudan University, Shanghai, Nov.-Dec. 2011.
- The Freeman Lecture, Wesleyan University, April 15, 2010.
- The Renato Poggioli Lecture, Harvard University, April 12, 2010.
- Grand Award, City University of Hong Kong Research Excellence Award Scheme, March 2008.
- Cheung Kong Chair Professor (長江講座教授), Beijing Foreign Studies University, 2007-09.
- Alexander Lectures, University College, University of Toronto, Spring 2005.
- Dharma Drum Lecture in the Humanities (法鼓人文講座), National Taiwan University, December 3, 2004.
- Advisory Editor, New Literary History, USA, since May 2010.
- Advisory Board Member, Journal of East-West Thought, USA, since Dec. 2011.
- Book Series Editor, Brill’s East Asian Comparative Literature and Culture.
- Book Series Editor, Brill’s Humanities in China Library.
- Editorial Board member of Modern China; Modern Chinese Literature and Culture; 《中華文史論叢》 [Journal of Chinese Literature and History]; and 《二十一世紀》 [Twenty-First Century].
Last updated: 15 November 2016