Yiwen Li is an Assistant Professor teaching history and cultural heritage at the City University of Hong Kong. She received her Ph.D. from the Department of History, Yale University and studies maritime trade and cultural exchanges in pre-modern East Asian world. Her dissertation Networks of Profit and Faith: Spanning the Sea of Japan and the East China Sea, 838-1402, which focuses on Sino-Japanese relations during the five centuries when their official diplomatic relationship was suspended, won the Arthur and Mary Wright Prize for the best doctoral dissertation in non-Western History (2017).
She earned her BA (2008) and MA (2011) from Peking University. In 2014-15, she was a Japan Foundation Fellow at the Institute for Research in Humanities, Kyoto University.
- Sources of Chinese Tradition
- Texts in Chinese Art and Culture
- Culture and Heritage of East Asia
- The Study of Dunhuang
- “Chinese Objects Recovered from Sutra Mounds in Japan, 1000-1300.” In Visual and Material Cultures in Middle Period China, edited by Patricia Buckley Ebrey and Shih-shan Susan Huang (Leiden: Brill, 2017), pp. 284-318.
- “Deforestation in Southeast China and Lumber in Sino-Japanese Trade, 1100-1270.” Ewha-Yale Workshop: Ecology, Culture, History, Seoul, South Korea. July 7, 2017.
- “Doing Business with Your Fellow Buddhists: The Credit System underlying the Sino-Japanese Trade, 1100-1270.”
Association for Asian Studies Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA., March 31, 2016.
- “The Credit System underlying the Sino-Japanese Trade, 960-1279” 日宋貿易を支える信用システム.
Paper presented (in Japanese) at Institute for Research in Humanities, Kyoto University, Japan, May 12, 2015.
- “Made in China: An Investigation of Chinese Objects Recovered from Sutra Mounds in Japan, 10001300.”
Association for Asian Studies Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA. March 23, 2014.
Paper also presented at Conference on Middle Period China, 800-1400, Harvard University, June 5, 2014.
- Arthur and Mary Wright Prize for the best doctoral dissertation in non-Western History, Yale University, 2017
- Prize Fellowship from the Council on East Asian Studies, Yale University, 2016-17
- Japan Foundation Fellowship, 2014-15
- MacMillan Center Dissertation Research Grants, 2014-15
- Yale CEAS Summer Travel and Research Grants, 2013
- Editor of “China Biographical Database,” 2008-09
Last updated: 17 January 2018