Dr. Wu received his PhD degree in Chinese literature from the University of Washington at Seattle. He taught at the National University of Singapore before joining City University of Hong Kong in December 2006. An academician as well as a creative writer, he is the author of Narration Proves Existence: Deliberation on Modern and Contemporary Chinese Literature, and six books of poetry and fiction. His specialization in modern and contemporary literature can also be seen in his two edited books: Spiritual China: Literary Quest in the Post-1976 Era and Contemporary Literature and Humanist Ecology, and his serving as the editorial board member of Journal of Chinese Literary Studies, subject specialist for the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic & Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ), and reviewer of overseas and local academic journals. He won national and regional prestigious literary awards including the Singapore Literature Prize twice (2010, 2016), Singapore Young Artist Award (1998) and ASEAN Young Artist Award (1993). He was constantly invited as judge for Singapore literary awards.
- Special Topics in Chinese Language and Literature
- Topics in Modern and Contemporary Chinese Literature
- Topics in Classical Chinese Literature
- Great Works after Sui Dynasty
- Modern Chinese Literature
- Selected Authors in Modern and Contemporary Chinese Literature
Poem, music and video
- 《來到2016年的西洋菜南街》[Youtube: 詩歌生活節2016 詩與歌街頭音樂會：來到2016年的西洋菜南街]
- Live Where the Imagination Is. Hong Kong: Musical Stone Culture, 2015. [RTHK Online Radio: 和你說說詩]
- Narration Proves Existence: Deliberation on Modern and Contemporary Chinese Literature. Beijing: Peking University Press, 2014.
- Spiritual China: Literary Quest in the Post-1976 Era (ed.). Shanghai: Fudan University Press, 2013.
- A Half-Existence. Taipei: Wanjuanlou, 2008.
- Contemporary Literature and Humanist Ecology (ed.). Taipei: Wanjuanlou, 2003.
- Cold as Fire. Hong Kong: Youth Literary Bookstore, 2002; Taipei: Wanjuanlou, 2012.
- When Loneliness Becomes a Storm. Singapore: Point-line Publishing, 1995.
- Delicacy. Singapore: Singapore Teochew Bayi Clan Association, 1990.
- Tender Heart. Singapore: Pan-Asia Publishing, 1988.
Articles in English and Japanese
- Gabriel Wu, “The post-1997 northbound movement of Hong Kong writers,” International Communication of Chinese Culture, September 2016, Volume 3, Issue 3, pp. 479–494.
- Gabriel Wu. (2012) “The ‘Home Affairs’ of Three Hong Kong-based Shanghainese Writers.” Studia Orientalia Slovaca, 11.2, Fall Issue, 2012, pp.273-287.
- Gabriel Wu. (2010) “Reading Food in Modern Japanese Literature by Tomoko Aoyama.” The Rocky Mountain Review of Language and Literature. Vol.64, No.2, Fall Issue, pp.249-251.
- 吳耀宗. (2009a) 《繰言あるいは逆写:シンガポールの村上春樹現象に関して》[Fragmentary Remarks or Reverse Writing: The Murakami Haruki Phenomenon in Singapore]. In Fujii Shōzō (ed.)《東アジアが読む村上春樹》 [How East Asia Read Murakami Haruki]. Tokyo: Wakakusa shobō, 2009, pp.207-238.
- Gabriel Wu. (2008) “The Rejected Imagination in the Poetry of Fang Ang, Fu Chengde and Chen Qianghua.” In David Lim (ed.) Overcoming Passion for Race in Malaysia Cultural Studies. Leiden & Boston: Brill, pp.29-47.4.
- Gabriel Wu. (2003) “Expressive Otherness: A Dominant Theme of Xin Hua Literature since 1965.” In Asian Culture, Vol.27, June, pp.46-57.
Articles in Chinese
- 吳耀宗. (2016) 〈水往高處流：讀彭依仁詩集《灰鴿自由行》〉[Water Flowing Upward: Reading Peng Yiren’s The Free Roaming of Grey Pigeons]. In《聲韻詩刊》[Voice and Verse], Vol.33, Dec, pp. 39-42.
- 吳耀宗. (2015)〈關於如/正常的對位或逆反：序香港八十後詩人作品專輯〉[On the Counterpoint or Antagonism of Normal or Back to Normal: A Special Edition of the Works of Hong Kong Post-80 Poets]. In《創世紀詩雜誌》[The Epoch Poetry Quarterly], Vol.184, Autumn Issue, pp. 80-81.
- 吳耀宗. (2014)〈張煒「看」小說的方法：以《鹿眼》為例〉[How Zhang Wei ‘Sees’ Fiction – The Deer’s Eye of You Are in the Highlands as an Example]. In《當代文壇》[Modern Literary Magazine], Vol.1, pp. 44-52.
- 吳耀宗. (2013)〈「精神中國」的生成：論述後「文革」時期文學的新概念〉[The Founding of “Spiritual China”: A New Concept for Discussing Post-Cultural Revolution Literature]. In《當代作家評論》 [Contemporary Writers Review], Vol.6, Nov & Dec, pp.169-179.
- 吳耀宗. (2013)〈簡化上海：在港上海作家的浪漫原鄉〉[A Simplified Shanghai: The Romantic Hometown of Hong Kong-based Shanghainese Writers]. In《文藝爭鳴》 [Wen Yi Zheng Ming], Vol. 8. Aug, pp. 6-11.
- 吳耀宗. (2012) 〈空間反抗：中國改革開放以來的苦旅小說〉[Spatial Resistance: Novels of Bitter Journey Since China’s Initiation of Reform and Open Policy].In《東嶽論叢》[Dongyue Tribune], Vol.33, No.9, Sep, pp.70-81.
- 吳耀宗. (2012) 〈從北角到九龍東：在港上海作家的香港想像〉[From North Point to Kowloon East: The Imagination of Hong Kong by Hong Kong-based Shanghainese Writers] . In《現代中文學刊》[Reviews and Research on Chinese Literature], Vol.2, April, pp.64-71.
- 吳耀宗. (2011) 〈被敍述，所以存在：文學史上的魯籍作家〉[Description Proves Existence: Writers of Lu Origin in the History of Literature]. In《東嶽論叢》[Dongyue Tribune], Vol.32, No.7, July, pp.5-14. (Abstract published in 《新華文摘》 [Xinhua Digest], Vol.493, Jan 2011, p.163.)
- 吳耀宗. (2011) 〈去性别叙述：解讀張愛玲《小團圓》的新視點〉[Degendered Narration: A New Perspective of Reading Zhang Ailing’s Little Reunion]. In《現代中國文化與文學》[Xiandai Zhongguo wenhua yu wenxue]. Vol.9, June, pp.232-242.
- 吳耀宗. (2011) 〈郭沫若的殺子意識與小説現代性〉[Guo Moruo’s Consciousness of Filicide and the Modernity of Fiction]. In《郭沫若學刊》 [Journal of Guo Moruo Studies], Vol.1, April, pp.59-63.
- 吳耀宗. (2010) 〈西方主義：郭沫若、郁達夫早期小說的西方想像〉[Occidentalism: Imagining the West in the Early Fiction of Guo Moruo and Yu Dafu]. In《東方文化》[Journal of Oriental Studies], Vol.43, No.1 & 2, Dec, pp.175-195.
- 吳耀宗. (2010) 〈《當代小説閱讀五種》,陳思和著〉[Reading Five Contemporary Novels by Chen Sihe). In 《東方文化》[Journal of Oriental Studies], Vol.43, No.1 & 2, Dec, pp.300-303.
- 吳耀宗. (2010) 〈輪回.暴力.反諷：論莫言《生死疲勞》的荒誕叙事〉[Reincarnation, Violence and Irony: The Absurd Narrative of Mo Yan’s Life And Death Are Wearing Me Out].《東嶽論叢》[Dongyue Tribune], Vol.31, No.11, Nov, pp.73-78.
- 吳耀宗. (2010) 〈錯譯與對罵：郭沫若與胡適的論爭及策略性書寫〉[Giving False Translation and Trading Insults: The Dispute between Guo Moruo and Hu Shi and Their Strategic Writing]. In《東亞現代中文文學國際學報》[The International Journal of Study on Modern Chinese Literature in East Asia], May, pp.3-26.
- 吳耀宗. (2009) 〈論郭沫若小說爆發期的擬歐造境〉[The Imitative Europe in Guo Moruo’s Fiction of Fecund Period]. In《東嶽論叢》[Dongyue Tribune], Vol.30, No.12, Dec, pp.68-72.
- 吳耀宗. (2004) 〈郁達夫的情色空間〉[The Erotic Space of Yu Dafu]. In The Korean Society of Modern Chinese Literature (ed.)《中國現代文學》[Modern Chinese Literature]. Vol.29, June, pp.101-115.
- 吳耀宗. (2003) 〈滅殺踵武者：論英培安與希尼爾小説的孤島屬性〉[Killing the Followers: The Island Nature of the Fiction of Ying Pei’an and Xi Ni’er]. In Gabriel Wu (ed.) 《當代文學與人文生態》[Contemporary Literature and Humanist Ecology]. Taipei: Wanjuanlou, pp.47-69.
- 吳耀宗. (2002) 〈文本互涉與客寓悲情：論李白在蘇皖所作詩〉[Intertextuality and A Traveler’s Sorrow]. In 《中國李白研究》[China Li Bai Study]. Hefei: Huangshan shushe, pp.258-271.
- Strategic Research Grant (SRG Project No. 7004480): A Critical Review of the Theories of Social Movementization in Literature, 2015-2016. Principal Investigator.
- Strategic Research Grant (SRG Project No. 7004322): A Study of the Social Movementization of Hong Kong Modern Poetry, 2014-2015. Principal Investigator.
- Strategic Research Grant (SRG Project No.7008172): The Post-1997 Northbound Movement of Hong Kong Writers, 2012-2013. Principal Investigator.
- Prospect of Cultural Industry in Gaomi (with and sponsored by Shandong Academy of Social Sciences), 2011-2012. Co-investigator.
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences Research Grant (Project No. 9610088): A Study of Hong Kong-based Shanghainese Novelists and the “Old Color Culture,” 2008-2009. Principal Investigator.
- International Joint-Research on East Asia and Murakami Haruki (with and sponsored by University of Tokyo), 2006-2009. Co-investigator.
- Singapore Literature Prize, 2016.
- Singapore Literature Prize, 2010.
- Yew Tee Award (for outstanding community service), Singapore, 2004.
- Singapore Young Artist Award, 1998.
- Singapore Book Award (highly commended, poetry section), 1996.
- NUS Overseas Graduate Scholarship, 1995-2000.
- 1st prize in ASEAN Young Artist Award, 1993.
- NUS Graduate Scholarship, 1991-1993.
- NUS Tong Kit Hin Memorial Medal, 1990.
- Singapore Golden Lion Award (highly commended, fiction section), 1989.
- Singapore Lion City Rotary Literary Award (in fiction and poetry sections), 1988.
- 1st runner up in Singapore National Short Story Competition, 1986.
- Director, The Society of Hong Kong 18 Districts Poetry Gathering
- Subject Specialist, Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic & Vocational Qualifications (2003-2013; 2015- )
- Editorial Board Member, The International Journal of Study on Modern Chinese Literature in East Asia (2005- )
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Chinese Literary Studies (2015- )
- Council Member, International Guo Moruo Academy (2012- )
Last updated: 24 January 2017