Chinese Cultural Canons and their Modern Application (GE1104)
In this course we will read and discuss selections from major Chinese classics, including the The Arts of War, Analects, Zhuangzi, Book of Odes, The Plum in the Golden Vase etc. These are texts of Chinese wisdom and culture that have brought values and morals, love and respect, peace and harmony in life for centuries and still have an impact on modern Chinese society.
- Become familiar with some of the major classics from China;
- Recognize features of Chinese thought and philosophy;
- Understand the influence of ancient texts on Chinese society today;
- Recognize and evaluate how one’s cultural background affects the sense of self in relation to others;
- Learn life-long habits of looking and analyzing when encountering new culture, new philosophy, new thinking in contrast to your own background and views.
Medium of Instruction: Cantonese / Putonghua
Click here to view the official course information
Starting from Semester A 2016/17, the medium of instruction (MOI) and medium of assessment (MOA) of this course will change to English only.
Last updated: 03 August 2016